If you were to Google “how long should my blog posts be,” you would be bombarded with differing opinions from thousands of professional bloggers. The truth is there is no magic length for a blog post. While many recommend posts generally fall between 250 and 1000 words, others try to hover around the 500 word mark. So what is right for you?
Considerations for the Length of Your Blog Post
There are many things to consider before sitting down to craft your first post.
1. How frequently do you intend to post? If you plan on posting once a week or less, consider writing a longer post. Will you post a couple of times a week? Shorter blog posts will do.
2. What will your blog post be about? If you are a small business owner, you have several options for blog post topics. When highlighting a product or service, shoot for a longer post. If you are commenting on an industry-related news item or responding to a specific comment from one of your readers, your post can be shorter. Maybe you would like to provide detailed instructions to your audience. Because of the value of the information, readers won’t mind a long post if it helps them solve a problem or improves their lives in some way.
3. How can you best utilize your blog post for search engine optimization? The length of consensus for SEO purposes seems to be at least 250 words. That said, the content in your blog post is more important than its length. By staying on topic and using keywords relevant to your small business, you can ensure that your blog post will be indexed for the information it was intended for. If you wander too far off your topic, search engines have more trouble figuring out how to index your information.
4. What does your audience want? If you have already begun posting on your small business blog, take a look at the posts that have been the most popular. Analyze them for reader feedback, length, and topic. Are you new to the blogging world? Check out other blogs and forums in your industry. Identify popular topics of interest and take note of feedback readers are leaving on other blog sites for ideas. For the most prominent blogs, take a look at the length and formatting of the posts.
Tips for Your Small Business Blog Content
Generally, your web audience has a short attention span. With millions of search engine results at their fingertips, they will quickly skim your information and decide whether or not to bounce from your site. Here are some tips to keep your readers engaged:
- Write engaging, to-the-point headlines.
- Use sub headers and bulleted or numbered lists for easy skimming.
- Provide links to related information.
- Stick to the point.
- Use a conversational tone.
- Provide valuable, relevant information.
- Do not use your blog as a sales pitch.
Above all, remember that your small business blog site can be an incredibly effective marketing tool if you give your audience content that they can use to improve their lives or solve a pressing problem. It is hard to go wrong if you choose the length of your blog posts based on the value of the content for your readers. Happy blogging!
Too busy to blog? We can help. Our copywriting and content creation team can help you maintain your blog with professional, relevant blog posts. Our internet marketing experts can even integrate your business blog with your social media and email marketing for a more powerful overall marketing strategy.
Image © Depositphotos.com/tashka2000