There was a time when Facebook was considered a good idea from a marketing standpoint, but not a necessary part of a business’s marketing plan. That is no longer the case. Facebook, along with other high-traffic social media platforms, has emerged as an incredibly powerful tool for any small business’s inbound marketing strategy. For some important statistics and targeted demographics for Facebook and other popular social media sites, check out our blog post, An Introduction to Social Media for Small Businesses .
The following steps will help you get your Facebook business page looking good and attracting customers:
Step 1: Create a personal profile page. This can quickly be done by going to www.facebook.com and signing up for a personal profile if you don’t already have one. If you don’t want a personal profile, you can choose to set up a business account, but your business account will not have the same level of access as a business page created through your personal profile.
Step 2: Create a business page. For details on how to create a business page, go to www.facebook.com/business/build. There you will see some great tutorials to walk you through the process. If you want to skip the tutorial, go straight to www.facebook.com/pages/create.php to get started. Carefully choose a page name and category as this cannot be changed. In order to change this information, you will have to delete the entire page and start again.
Step 3: Choose a page category for your business. Choose from one of six categories that best describes your company: local business or place; company, organization, or institution; brand or product; artist, band, or public figure; entertainment; and cause or community.
Step 4: Choose and upload a logo/image to represent your business. This will be your profile picture, which will appear to the left of your posts and in the header area of your page. This image should be 160 px width x 160 px height. On your page, this image will shrink to 125×125 pixels.
Step 5: In the ‘About’ section, include a brief, targeted description of what your business does. This will be visible to your audience, so be sure to include your organization’s web address and any important keywords that you are using to optimize web content.
Step 6: Create a web address for your business page that can be used for marketing and to promote your Facebook presence.
Step 7: Find and upload a cover photo that accurately represents your business/brand. The image dimensions for the cover photo are 851px width x 315 px height. Hubspot has a great facebook template that can walk you through the process.
Building an Audience for Your Facebook Business Page
Now you have a fantastic looking Facebook business page just waiting for droves of followers and potential customers, right? Almost. So how do you prepare to attract and engage your Facebook audience? Content, content, and more content. After all, a pretty face will only get you so far. Your audience will be looking for information that is relevant, helpful, and engaging. When deciding what type of content to put on your page, put yourself in the shoes of your audience. What do customers often inquire about? What are your most popular items/services? What do customers rave about? Focus on content that reflects customer interest.
Content Tips for Your Facebook Business Page
Ideally, you will want to post five days a week. Many businesses create weekly schedules that are consistent and predictable. An example of this would be a product feature post on Mondays, product or service tips on Tuesdays, blog link on Wednesdays, etc. Here are some different types of content that you can include on your page:
- Written content: Post written content that you feel will be relevant and engaging for your audience. Does it pass the “So What?” test? Try to provide valuable insights and information whenever possible. Also, try to avoid oversharing. Remember, this is your business page…save anything personal for your personal page. Finally, keep your posts to 250 characters or less (about three lines of text).
- Images/Video: Post image or video files of a product, service, or event that you want to highlight.
- Links: Posting links to your website content, including blog or article posts, webinars, newsletters, resources or other content is an easy way to promote your site and provide your audience with relevant information.
- Events/Offers/Milestones/Polls: You can easily create an event, special offer, milestone, or customer poll on your Facebook business page by clicking the “offer, event +” option in the box where you post content. Once clicked, you will be given options to create an event, offer, milestone, or poll.
- Place Ads/Invite Email Contacts: Use your Admin Panel feature button titled “Build Audience” at the top right of your Facebook page to create ads and invite email contacts to visit your page.
By creating a Facebook page for your business, you are tapping into a free, indispensable marketing tool to help you connect with customers, build relationships, and strengthen brand recognition.
Do you want to develop a social media presence that will benefit your company, but don’t have the time to maintain it? We’ve got you covered. OpenVine provides some of the best comprehensive social media services in Boston. We can help you develop and maintain an effective social media strategy that gets results.